Simple sardine sandwich recipe that is easy and quick. It takes less than 10 minutes to make, it's tasty, and makes a perfect school lunch sandwich, for afternoon teas, and parties. Learn how to make sardine sandwich step by step.
This is a step by step guide on how to make canned sardine sandwiches. This recipe serves 3 but you can double the recipe, triple, or multiply to get the required servings.
If you are looking for a quick sandwich that you can make in under 10 minutes, this is the one. It is so easy and simple to put together and requires just 4 ingredients.
It's a good school lunch sandwich that is healthy, delicious, and loved by kids and adults. Infact this was one of my favorite sandwiches growing up. It's a very popular Nigerian sandwich recipe.
I make these sandwiches with canned sardines and it's so easy and quick to make. Although it's cheap to make, it is healthy and delicious.
They are light, tasty, and perfect for work lunches or school lunches. They are a great addition to afternoon teas or parties and can be made ahead and stored for later use.
Sardines are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids which helps prevent heart disease. They are also rich in calcium, protein, and many other nutrients.
Ingredients For Sardine Sandwich
Bread - I like to use soft white bread but you can use other types of bread such as brown bread, 50/50 bread, and others.
Sardines- I like to use canned Sardine in sunflower oil but you can use sardine in tomato sauce.
Butter - You can susbtitute with mayonnaise
Cayenne pepper- This is optional but I like to add some pepper in mine. You can also use black pepper.
How To Make Sardine Sandwich
In a bowl, add the butter, sardines, and cayenne or black pepper then mix till combined.
Take a slice of bread and put a third of the sardine mix on it then spread the mix evenly on the bread.
Place another slice of bread over the one spread with sardine mix then cut the sandwich into 2 triangles or any shape you desire.
Repeat process till bread and sardine mix used up.
Serve and enjoy.
How to Store
You can make this sandwich ahead and It will last in the fridge for up to 48 hours. Before storing in the fridge, wrap in clingfilm and put in an airtight container or put in a Ziploc so the bread doesn't dry out in the fridge.
When ready to eat, bring out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.
- Adjust pepper to your taste.
- I like to use white bread for this recipe but you can use brown bread or 50/50 bread.
- You can add mayonnaise to the spread if you’d like.
- Add vegetables like lettuce and tomatoes if desired.
More Quick Recipes on the blog
If you try this recipe, rate it, and leave a comment below. Don’t forget to use the share button below and share it on social media.
Also, subscribe to the blog for notifications of new recipes and follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Sardine Sandwich Recipe
- 6 Sliced Bread
- 1 Canned Sardine
- 2 tablespoon Butter or Mayonaise
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne or black pepper
- In a bowl, add the butter, sardines, and cayenne or black pepper then mix till combined.
- Take a slice of bread and put a third of the sardine mix on it then spread the mix evenly on the bread.
- Place another slice of bread over the one spread with sardine mix then cut the sandwich into 2 triangles or any shape you desire.
- Repeat process till bread and sardine mix used up.Serve and enjoy.