Easy Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe
This easy chocolate sponge cake recipe is simple to make and the best. The cake comes out fluffy, soft, light, and delicious. Learn how to make chocolate sponge cake from scratch.
- 120 g Butter
- 140 g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 4 tablespoons Milk whole or semi skimmed
- 100 Self raising flour check note below if using All purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 4 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa powder
First, prepare the cake pans by brushing with butter and lining with parchment paper/baking sheet. This will make the cake come out easily and cleanly from the pan. Preheat oven at a temperature of 150C (fan) or 170C (conventional).Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder into a bowl and mix. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add butter and sugar then cream till it is pale in colour and creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time into the creamed butter and sugar, add milk, and use the hand mixer to mix for a minute or till the mixture comes together
Add in the flour/cocoa powder mix and use a spatula to mix till it comes together before briefly mixing with the hand mixer. Don't overmix once the flour has gone in to avoid the cake coming out dense.
Pour the smooth cake batter into the prepared cake pans and bake in the preheated oven at a temperature of 150C (fan oven) /170C conventional for 25- 30 minutes or till a cake tester when inserted comes out clean.
Bring out the cakes and leave for 5 minutes before turning on to a cooling rack. Remove the parchment paper and leave cakes to cool.
Cut, serve and enjoy cake or cover with frosting.
CHOCOLATE CHIP SPONGE CAKE
To make chocolate chip sponge cake, add 50g of chocolate chips to the batter when you add the flour/cocoa mix . Mix it in and then pour the cake batter into the cake tins. You can also sprinkle the top with more chocolate chips.
Follow baking instructions as above.
How to Store
In the event you have leftover or you are making the cake ahead, wrap with clingfilm, put it in a Ziploc bag, and if not filled or covered with buttercream, you can leave it on the worktop where it will last for 3 days at room temperature. If filled or covered with frosting it's best to store in the fridge where it will last for up to 5 days. When ready to eat, bring out of the fridge and leave out for 30 minutes to come to room temperature before serving.
- Bring the butter out of the fridge and leave out for 30 minutes to get to room temperature before using.
- If using all-purpose flour (plain flour) instead of self-raising flour, add a teaspoon of baking powder.
- Don't rush the creaming process, cream the butter and sugar till the color turns pale and it's creamy and fluffy.
- Break eggs one at a time to add in the batter so in case there's a bad egg it wouldn't ruin the other eggs or batter.
- When the flour/cocoa powder mix has been added to the batter, use a spatula to mix first before briefly using a hand mixer so you don't overmix and make the cake dense.
- Put the cake pans on a rack in the middle of the oven for even heat distribution.
- Leave the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack before putting buttercream or any decoration.